Sunday, November 6, 2011

Time management , do you value time?

So you  agree to meet someone on a particular day at a specific time, let's say 11.00 am , come 10.55 am you are at the meeting point waiting. Come 11.20 am you are still waiting. At 11.30am you call him/her and  they tell you "I will be right there,there's traffic". At 11.45am s/he walks in and  utter the words"there was so much traffic along the way".

I get into these situations a lot! It literally makes me mad! If I can leave whatever I am doing and honor the promise of meeting you at the agreed time, why can't you do the same? I know there's traffic, but I do my calculations very well, give myself maybe half an hour of traffic time or more depending on the distance.

Tardiness tells a lot about a person. It shows how irresponsible a person is or unreliable. If I were to hook you up with a job opportunity or a business opportunity, yet you do not value time, how sure am I that you will deliver?

The notion of "Tanzanian time" will never go away. People invite guests to parties and weddings and put the time as 6pm knowing very well that the event starts at 8pm. They do this not with any bad intentions, but with the knowledge and understanding that people can never keep time.  In official meetings you agree a set time but 50% of the people will be late.

Are you one of those people who like keeping others waiting? Or are you one of those who are said to have "kiherehere" in Swahili, who is always on time?
After always going to events and meetings on time, I once decided to try out going late.I arrived at the event an hour and a half late thinking  most people will be there by then. The surprise I got..........I was the only guest there!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment